1. Personal identification information
We may collect personal identification information from Users in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, when Users visit the Site, register on the Site, and in connection with other activities, services, features or resources we make available on the Site. Users may be asked for, as appropriate, name, email address, and other information. Users may, however, visit the Site anonymously. We will collect personal identification information from Users only if they voluntarily submit such information to us. Users can always refuse to supply personal identification information, except that it may prevent them from engaging in certain Site related activities.
2. Non-personal identification information
We may collect non-personal identification information about Users whenever they interact with the Site. Non-personal identification information may include the browser name, the type of computer and technical information about the User’s means of connection to the Site, such as the operating system and the Internet service providers utilized, as well as other similar information.
3. Web browser cookies
4. How we use collected information
smallworld collects and uses the personal information of its Users for the following purposes:
- To personalize the user experience: we may use aggregated, non-personally identifiable information to understand how our Users as a group use the services and resources provided on the Site.
- To improve the Site: we continually strive to improve our online offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from the Users.
- For research: data collected for quality improvement may be generalizable and useful to the scientific community. Any research undertaken connected to a University will be submitted to an Institutional Review Board.
- To improve customer service: information collected of and sent in by Users helps us to more effectively respond to customer service requests and support needs.
- To send periodic emails: the email address Users provide will only be used to send them information and updates pertaining to their use. It may also be used to respond to their inquiries, and/or other requests or questions. If the User decides to opt-in to our mailing list, they will receive emails that may include news and updates regarding the Site, related product or service information, etc. If at any time the User would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, they may do so by contacting us via the Site.
5. How we protect your information
We adopt appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal information, username, password, and data stored on the Site.
Sensitive and private data exchange between the Site and its Users happens over an SSL secured communication channel and is encrypted and protected with digital signatures.
6. Sharing your personal information
We do not sell, trade, or rent the personal identification information of Users to others. We may share generic aggregated demographic information not linked to any personal identification information regarding visitors and users with our business partners, trusted affiliates and advertisers for the purposes outlined above.
7. Third party websites
Users may find advertising or other content on our Site that link to the sites and services of our partners, suppliers, advertisers, sponsors, licensors and other third parties. We do not control the content or links that appear on these sites and are not responsible for the practices employed by websites linked to or from the Site. In addition, these sites or services, including their content and links, may be constantly changing. These sites and services may have their own privacy policies and customer service policies. Browsing and interaction on any other website, including websites which have a link to the Site, is subject to that website's own terms and policies.
9. Your acceptance of these terms
By using the Site, you signify your acceptance of this policy. If you do not agree to this policy, please do not use the Site. Your continued use of the Site following the posting of changes to this policy will be deemed your acceptance of those changes.
10. Contacting us
This document was last updated on August 20, 2016.